You have probably set many goals for yourself in the past, bound and determined to succeed, only to find yourself disappointed and frustrated, we all have. What went wrong? This time is the time you are not going to give up, you are not going to find an excuse and you are not going to find something or someone to blame it on. This time you are going to set your goal, this time you are going to commit and follow through and this time you are going to succeed and be very proud of your accomplishment.
Can I guarantee this? No, but if you really mean it this time and you are willing to make some sacrifices, not be afraid of setbacks and are willing to follow some advise, I will guarantee you will be ahead of where you were.
1) Set a goal – I truly believe, this is the most important step and because this is a health and fitness article, lets just focus on these types of goals. Your goal could be anything; completing a 5K race, losing 15 pounds, exercising 3 days a week, cleaning up your diet…
2) Be honest with yourself – Are you really ready this time? Do you want this more than ever before? Are you being realistic with your goal? Don’t sell yourself short but make sure your goal is attainable and your first goal deadline is not to far in the future. If your end goal is a year from now set smaller goals at the end of each month to avoid putting off starting.
3) Make the commitment – You already know you are ready so why wait. Register for an event such as a 5 or 10K, tell someone about your weight loss goal. Join a gym or local fitness studio and sign up for classes or hire a personal trainer, get some friends together and join us for an obstacle race. Now that you have made the commitment, there is no turning back; this is what is going to keep you motivated.
4) Follow through and succeed – Now that you have committed, you are much more inclined to follow through. No one wants to be a “quitter”. That being said, far too many people don’t commit due to being afraid they will quit and don’t want to look like a “quitter”. All I can say is if you quit for some reason out of your control, you are obviously not a “quitter” and if you quit for no reason, the shoe fits. “If you quit on the process, you are quitting on the result”
5) Get support – No success or accomplishment is easy alone, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Regardless of your goal, weight loss, lifestyle change, personal bucket list, we all can benefit from support. Support can come from friends and family, groups, teams or professionals. The more people you have to help, encourage and support you, the closer you are to success.
We all run into obstacles no matter what our goals are but if we are aware of them, they are easier to defeat.
You may find some people will try to derail your efforts, find a polite way to decline these pressures and stay on track.
It is sometimes easy to convince ourselves that we don’t have time to eat properly or exercise, but we all know this is just another excuse. You need to set some priorities and make the time, you will be glad you did.
There is an endless list of obstacles, before you begin this successful journey towards your goal. If you have tried and failed in the past, think back at the reasons why. Now that you are aware of what has previously or can sabotage your efforts, deal with them now or be prepared to deal with them if they raise their ugly head.
Results 4 Life Fitness would love to help you with all of your health and fitness goals. We have many upcoming events and training opportunities that will help you along the way.
Fitness Studio in Black Mountain or World Gym Kelowna,
message for details 250-215-7120.
Terry Fox Run – 5 or 9K team – Sept. 18
Freak’n Farmer – 10K obstacle race team – Sept. 24
CIBC Run for the Cure – 5K team - Oct. 2
BMO Okanagan Marathon – 10K team – Oct. 9
Training, motivation and fun included!
Please visit our website
Like our facebook page for upcoming training and healthy tips.